School at 11PM
Thursday, 8 April 2010
School for the kids.
It is much easier to stay awake if you have too. So, the kids and I rolled into school at what was 11PM for us. We chose to come back to B's school despite the rather long drive from where we are staying. My oldest went there when we lived here before and she is familiar with it and so am I. I know the layout, the basic schedules, some of the teachers amd most importantly, B has a few friends there. That at least one of us has friends is a good start. Funny how kids are so good at falling right into a new pattern. Adults could learn a lot from them. B found her old friends and was back in like that. Despite the fact that she has only been schooled in Swedish to the 1st grade, she tested into the 4th grade reading level. When asked about the math homework, she said that it's easy except for that she had to learn all new vocabulary. K fell right into a social circle. He speaks loads of English in school but is starting to intermix some Swedish in there. Yesterday he corrected me 2x but it can't come soon enough for me. He is quite resistant to speaking outright. I can't same I blame him. It is so tough for me.
Back to the school. Start time is 8:30. Keegan has 1 hour lunch and recess combined with a 45 min. recess as well and is done at 1:30. Yes, 1:30. He stays until two though. B is done at 2:00 and along with the regular subjects has 45 min of walking 3x a week and yesterday had a sewing class. She was a bit mystified. So am I. I am sure there is a good reason for it that goes beyond knowing how to darn but I don't know what it is. Perhaps eye hand coordnination. Everyone has hot lunch which is fish 2x a week. K likes salmon so this works well for him. B gets by. The meals appear healthier and less processed. Seems they have more "real" things in them though they are provided to the schools by Sodexho which does the meals for the kid's school in the States. Maybe the difference here is that the government doesn't allow the food pyramid to be governed by food industry lobbyists. (I can't stand that french fries are considered a vegetable in our school lunch programs in America). At the end of my kids school day they also have a snack of A-fil (think buttermilk) or yogurt and Swedish knackebrod (crackerbread). The kids really appreciate it. Most of the kids stay until 5 or 5:30 as stay at home mom's are highly unusual. My kids come home with me to play. I am sure that they wouldn't mind staying there, they have fun there. In the States, I would be busy taking them to sports but here I play with them, ride bikes, or even bake with them. It's a little slower pace.
0 comments:
Post a Comment