Bullying (mobbing) is a problem here in Sweden too.
Wednesday, 21 April 2010
I picked the kids up from school today only to find my youngest perplexed and a little out of sorts. Seems he has become the center of a problem that is well known in Sweden but not well controlled. Bullying. Mobbing as they call it. It broke my heart to hear him among all the kids that surrounded us. He was whimpering, "the kids here don't like me". It isn't really the kids, rather it is one kid and a couple of his less brave buddies that have chosen to pick on him. We had the same problem when we lived here before except with our oldest child. I hear from teachers and parents about how bullying is a problem here in Sweden. How it affects them and their children. I hear over and over how the teachers have no rights to do anything about it. I don't understand yet how come that is. We have bullying in the States as well. In the States I hear a lot about what is being done to prevent it though. Perhaps that is just the exception though and not the rule? I like to give both countries the benefit of the doubt. I was pleased with the immediate response from the teachers today though. One teacher said she would put an email out to the staff that this child has found a new target (he is true bully!). Another pulled me aside and said noticed it happening on the playground and that in addition to being a teacher she is also the mom of a bullied kid so she is taking extra care to watch out for him. My eldest said she is also watching out for him. But back to him...SO instead of grabbing him and giving him the biggest hug ever (cuz that's what I needed not what he needed in front of the other kids) I put on my super mom cape and gave him my best advice: ignore him. Dog's don't chase cats that don't run. Use your skills you have learned at school in the States. Use your words, walk away, tell someone. As I was tucking him in I went through the steps again prepping him for tomorrow. Now that he is sleeping I think I will whimper a little myself.
0 comments:
Post a Comment