Playgrounds galore

Saturday, 16 June 2007




Periodically we talk about what we miss most about the States and what we like best about Sweden. (This list of course excludes family and friends. They are of course the best thing about both countries). We miss the boat of course. My son especially. He cries about it. I miss garbage disposals. Scraping leftover food from plates and out of the sink is disgusting. No question about that. Garbage disposals are more convenient, sanitary, and ecological. It grinds up the food and then it gets treated with the sewer. Not a bad system. We were at Susanna's parents house in Orust (one of a most gorgeous archipeligo of islands off the west coast of Sweden). They have a garbage disposal that they imported. I was most jealous. In at least one part of Sweden they have started to recycle food waste. You get three buckets and have to seperate out your waste. I don't know what the seperations are but can you imagine the smell? I don't know what the argument is against garbage disposals but I would love to hear it. My daughter and I love Swedish dairy products. Fjallmjolk (kefir) is fantastic. The yogurt here is divine. My husband misses his BBQ. We have 5 playgrounds within walking distance of our house. 4 more if you take a bike. That is just in our part of town. Maybe due to the lack of liability there are really cool very inventive play stuctures on them as well. Slides that are forever long. Flying foxes which can best be described as zip lines. We probably hit the playgrounds 2-3x a week. I like that there are very few stop signs here. They are all yeilds and roundabouts. The larger intersections have stoplights but many are managed with roundabouts. While intimidating at first they have grown on me. You can NOT turn right on red here which is annoying. Bicycles rule the roads especially in the city we live in. I have more to add to this list....but will leave at this for now.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP