More words I would like to adopt.
Tuesday, 26 June 2007
Please refer to my earlier post about favorite words to fully understand this.
Tjej-there is no practical word for this in English. It is somewhere in between girl and woman. And both at the same time. Not lady or m'am. Not gals either. Much more like the female equivalent of guys in English. Something you can use to describe friends who are women. Like girlfriends in a way but not. Why don't we have a word like that? This has been a topic of discussion with Susanna my Swedish friend.
Fika-another word that can be applied as a verb, noun, adjective etc. It means coffee break in its simplest terms but is a SERIOUS institution here in Sweden. Again, another subject that I must write a whole post on.
1 comments:
Amen to "tjej" and "fika". I love the culture and mystique that surrounds fika. But it was a bit frustrating at first.
Words I use that I love because of their meanings are "lagom" and "sugen".
Post a Comment