I wouldn't make it as a Viking.

Saturday, 30 June 2007


Mamma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys....(or Vikings). Otherwise entitled "why I wouldn't want to be a Viking". Remember that song about cowboys and how it was hard to live the life of a cowboy? Well after visiting the Viking Marknad or market today near Falsterbo today, I decided I wouldn't be so happy as a Viking. I am cold enough as is and I have proper snow boots for the winter...not bits of leather with strings wrapped around them. I can appreciate that so many people like to play Vikings that they will come summer after summer to Sweden from Italy to dress in Viking clothes, sell Viking goods, sleep in Viking tents etc. I appreciate them because it was entertaining and educational to see. It seemed to be a similar crowd playing Vikings that do the Renaissance Fairs at home. (Meaning lots of dread locks to be seen). But reality is far different from playing and the reality that I saw beyond the playing today was a harsh lifestyle. Ditches that carried rainwater away from the camps today were used back then for sewage as well. Lookout posts were to guard against real enemies. Drafty, dark, dank houses were just that then. Swords and helmets were used to protect and kill to survive not to look cool.
Maybe I should take that post about not liking to be inconvenienced down. Looks like I have nothing to complain about after all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP