Gas prices, parking, public transport and biking.
Tuesday, 26 June 2007
While raising the price of gas in America is doing little to change driving habits, I think Swedes have got this one covered. Just charge $7-8 for a gallon of gas and also for parking everywhere you want to take your car. For example, both Brynn and Keegan were sick in March. I took Brynn to the centralward in Lund which for afterhour care is located in the hospital. I had to pay to park AT the hospital. I was frustrated, tired, getting sick myself, hauling two sick kids around and the last thing I wanted to do way scrap together the right change for parking. Joakim said, jokingly said "You should have taken your bike". As ludicrous as that sounds to me, coming from the land of drive-thrus, he had a point. At least I would have just been tired and not furious too. Seriously though, it is rare to be able to just park. Cars are made to be the inconvenience here. Sometimes the parking doesn't make sense...like at the hospital and at the grocery store. Most grocery stores allow for 1 hour free parking, some do charge though. Public transport is clean and easy. Biking is healthy, easy and free. I am not ready to bike to the hospital yet, and still get annoyed at the counter intuitiveness of having a limit on how long I can shop (after all don't they want me to shop longer and spend more money?). But there is no doubt in my mind that our driving habits in the US are taking a toll on the environment. A little walking/biking wouldn't hurt the American collective waistline either. Besides that I would really like for my kids and their kids to have a clean environment to live in as well.
1 comments:
I think this is something that you have to live and experience to wrap your brain around it. I've tried explaining the idea of bicyling everyone to American friends and they just cannot grasp it. And yet it is so good both for the environment and your health.
Although, I'm not sold on the bicycling to the hospital either.
When I gave birth to Josef, we didn't have a car. My parents were so freaked out that I might have to go to the hospital in a taxi or bus. My friend drove me there. But when we came home we took the bus--brand-new baby in two. I never told my parents. I figure some things are better kept quiet.
Post a Comment