Lovin Lilacs
Monday, 11 May 2009
Lilacs. Is there a better smell than lilacs? Lilacs can transform a whole room into spring in just one hour. We have lilacs everywhere here so they are not a new phenomenon but they are nothing compared to Sweden. When we lived in Sweden the landscape became so grey over the winter. Greyer than grey as there were no evergreen trees where we lived. Then as the daylight hours rapidly went form one extreme to another there came an explosion of lilacs like nothing I have ever seen before. Perhaps it was my desperation to see color but I don't think so. They grew everywhere. Biking you would be engulfed by the smell and almost intoxicated. Bushes that went on forever one melding right into the other, only distinguishable as individuals when their color varied. If they had a camera that could capture smell as well as an image I know that lilas would be one of the first things on my picture taking list. What smells do you love?
1 comments:
My favorite sign and smell of spring is lilacs. In Wyoming, the contrast from the winter browns to the spring greens is very stark. I loved to drive around my hometown during Spring and just enjoy the beauty of the green fields and mountains.
Here, in New York, I'm enjoying daffodils. They are so pretty and bright.
Post a Comment