Cream Cheese Frosting

Friday, 15 May 2009

Good golly. Cream cheese frosting. Forget the cake. I can pass that up no problem. Store bought frosting? Maybe it is good for spackling. But homemade cream cheese frosting? SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. I grew up with the stuff. My mom has always been into natural foods. Now it is chic and becoming, dare I say it, the norm? But then it was just plain weird. (Yes I was the kid at lunch with the carob milk, sesame seed candies, whole grain bread and natural peanut butter.) The one thing I loved from the very start was her cream cheese frosting. I just made some for Brynn's birthday cupcakes. YUM. I have always made it just by mixing cream cheese, sugar and a teensey bit of milk at a time until I got to the desired consistency. To me and my family it is heaven. Even my kids don't like other frostings. As I have gotten older and started decorating more birthday cakes I have come to realize that adding butter gives it more structure making it easier to decorate with. Also, I think it is more palatable to most who like things a little richer than I. If you think it is hard to make guess again. It is SO easy and compared to frosting from the grocery bakery or from a bucket it is practically good for you. Careful with the sugar, I don't need this much but many people like even more.
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cups baker's or confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 comments:

Tiffany Wacaser 18 May 2009 at 17:20  

I adore cream cheese frosting. It just makes everything better. I agree with you that store-bought frosting is like spackling. Gross.

bruinlab 20 May 2009 at 22:36  

Did you know that not so many years ago you couldn't get cream cheese in Sweden? And then when it did get there I had a hard time convincing certain friends that it wasn't Swedish? :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP