Stepping outside of the box.

Friday, 6 July 2007

When we first arrived here there were things to get used to. The new house, the new schools, the new schedules, a new car, new traffic rules (those traffic circles!). We acclimated quite well I feel and overcame where we didn't. For the most part that is. There were the big things as mentioned and the littler things. Some were welcome changes and others were more difficult. As time has worn on it has certainly become easier. I know how (to a point at least) to navigate getting an appt to the dr. The daily routines are less complicated now that we know how and where to get the neccessities. Here is the thing I can't get used to however. I am trying but apparantly 12 months isn't enough time. If you try to do anything out of the realm of "vanligt" or normal you get rebuffed with "that wouldn't be fair". I understand this country is all about equality. Equality is extremely important. I just would like to see a little flexibility. Questioning things seems to be discourage as bad manners. When I expressed this to a fellow ex-pat who has lived here for nearly six years her response was that she has been running into that same brick wall and it is one of the things she can't get used. On the one particular issue that I am wrestling with I asked if it would help to have some background and maybe they could take that into consideration. I got read the riot act in return. What made me think I was was special or different so that I should get special consideration? I felt like I had asked for something that and I was a spoiled brat being reprimanded for always wanting more (than others). My friend said, make it easy on yourself and accept, "that's just the way it is, that's why". The thing is though I wasn't raised like that and therefore it is hard be that. Or maybe I just can't be that person becuase I don't want to be.

1 comments:

Tiffany Wacaser 6 July 2007 at 13:02  

I always seem to run into the box at the doctor's office or at the dentist. One of my worst experiences hitting the brick wall was at the hospital when my friend who was visiting from London had to take her son to the emergency room because he had a fractured arm. I was trying to talk to them about something that they had handled poorly. Their response? We can do it differently because it wouldn't be fair to the other patients. And I'm thinking, "you can't try and treat other people a little better because that wouldn't be fair?" But I finally stopped talking because you can't reason with them. But it makes me mad. You don't get very far in Sweden if you are mad at people.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP